Big big BIG News…!
I wish I had a needle and thread
Fine as I could sew
I’d stitch that pretty girl to my side
And down the road I’d go
This is the song lyric that comes to mind as I prepare for the next big step in my life. My big news is that I’m leaving Berlin and I’m moving to Nashville in order to play full time with Nora Jane Struthers and her band. I just want to take all my friends and loved ones with me.
As much as I’ve loved the experience of playing in dozens of bands at a time over the past ten years or so, I’ve always wanted to go all the way with one band. Now I have the chance to pursue that dream and I’m gonna go for it. Nora Jane is an old friend who I first met at Galaxabout ten years ago and she’s always wanted me to join her band but I’ve always been busy or overseas. I just played a couple of shows with the band and the songs are great, the group vibe is great, and I decided I’m ready to go for it. Now we’re getting ready to start recording a new record with a new band, including P.J. George on bass, Joe Overton (of Clear Blue Sky) on guitar, banjo and steel, and Drew Lawhorn on drums. I love the music we’re making and I love the folks in this band and can’t wait to get started on the record. It’s scheduled for release in April and then we’ll hit the road hard to support the record.
I’m sad to leave Berlin and all the great friends and great music I’ve encountered there but I want folks in Europe and the UK to know that I will still be around from time to time, with Nora Jane as well as with other projects, so stay with me on this list. Folks in the US, chances are good you’ll see a lot more of me in the days to come. This is a very exciting and challenging period of transition for me and I want to stay connected with all of you as much as possible.
Tomorrow I’m heading to NYC to catch up with Thomas Bailey and Dennis Lichtman and hisBrain Cloud, among others. And I will have some gigs there! I think a few of these gigs will be sort of last-minute, so keep your eye on FB for me, but here’s what I’ve got so far:
– Tuesday, September 11, I play with Brain Cloud at Hudson Square in Manhattan, 1-2pm,FREE
– and then later that same day I record with Izzy Zaidman. More details on that soon!
– and then later that same day I play with Thomas Bailey and Max Johnson at Jalopy in support of our new record, Wild Hog
– and then from October 3-9 I’m touring in Germany with the Froggy Mountain Boys. I will send out a special tour announcement before we hit the road but cities include Karlsruhe, Frankfurt Main, Mainz, Mannheim, and Amsterdam, NL, and we will have our great friends Battenkill Ramblers opening for us. Please spread the word, it’s our first attempt at a Germany tour and I hope it won’t be the last!
– And let me not forget to mention that I am fortunate enough to be able to record with the Brain Cloud on this visit to NYC. I love playing classic Western Swing with these guys and although I don’t know yet when the record is due for release I will keep you all posted as best I can, and perhaps I can even include a sneak preview mp3… No promises but I’ll try for that.
For my last item in this letter I will share this video with you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsCIp_rwPg4 and ask, does anyone know the name of this tune? Because I sure don’t.
And so friends, I hope to see some of you this week in NYC and I look forward to making new friends in Nashville — If you know anyone there that I should contact, please let me know! Lots of things in my life will be different from now on and I look forward to sharing my story with you. Some things will stay the same, such as my love for my friends and family, and for good food and dancing, and doggies. I love doggies.