Here We Gooooo…!
Additional UK/EU/West Coast Tour Dates Announced, New Videos, Book Reports, and more
Last night we had a little bon voyage party for me and I got to see a lot of my local friends, plus I got to see a performance by my old band, Roochie Toochie & the Ragtime Shepherd Kings, which was amazing as always.
Now I have just about a week to make sure I’m ready for this big adventure. Wish me luck, and come out and see me if you can. And if you can’t make sure to send three people in your place!
In this newsletter:
Tour Dates (Including Recently Announced and TBC)
- June 4 – Dundalk, Ireland – The Spirit Store
- June 6 – Belfast, N. Ireland – The American Bar
- June 9 – Peebles, Scotland – Eastgate Theatre and Arts Centre
- June 11 – Edinburgh, Scotland – House Concert – Message [email protected] for reservations and more info
- June 12 – Edinburgh, Scotland – City of Edinburgh Music School
- June 13 – Barnoldswick, England – Barnoldswick Music & Arts Centre
- June 14 – Sheffield, England – Cafe #9
- June 16 – Devon, England – Ashburton Arts Centre
- June 17 – London, England – The Betsey Trtwood
- June 20 – Berlin, Germany – JamCats Session – With a Berlin version of Ragtime Banjo Revival band – piano, bass, and two guitars! — I am also teaching a banjo masterclass before the session starts
- June 22 – Berlin, Germany – Yorckschlösschen – With a Berlin version of Ragtime Banjo Revival band – piano, bass, and two guitars!
- June 24 – Rotterdam, Netherlands – Rotterdam Bluegrass Festival – Performing solo and with Berber banjoist and singer Hassan Wargui
- July 6 – Belllingham, WA – Garden Twilight Series at Boundary Bay Brewery & Bistro with Cami Celestia aka Cami Flage joining me on piano — We shall have a joyful reunion!
- July 7 – Seattle, WA – The Royal Room – With Cami Celestia
- July 8 – Seattle, WA – Clawhammer Banjo workshop at Dusty Strings
- July 9 – Corvallis, OR – Whiteside Theatre
- July 11 – Mt. Shasta, CA – Jefferson Center for the Arts
- July 12 – Weaverville, CA – Trinity Alps Performing Arts Center
- July 14 – Davis, CA – Watermelon Music
- July 15 – Half Moon Bay, CA – Odd Fellows’ Hall
- July 16 – TBC – Berkeley, CA – The Back Room – TBC
- July 22 – Detroit Square Dance Society Presents — Queer Square Dance + Potluck at Spread Art
- July 25 – Caledonia, MI – Summer Concert Series, opening for Good Morning Bedlam
- July 26 – Big Rapids, MI – Summer Concert Series
- July 27 – TBC – Remus, MI – May Barn – TBC
Honestly I’ve been making and posting so many videos lately. If you really want to keep up on it please join my Patreon where you will have access to the full videos before anyone else. For partial access you can find me in Instagram, Tiktok, and Facebook.
But here’s a few of my favorite recent ones!
in which I do that special Joe Venuti four-string bowing trick! With Alex Belhaj on guitar
live from JAPC with Stephen Warner on the organ, and
just one fantastic moment from the American Banjo Fraternity Rally last month.
I’ve been on the nonfiction! And you might even call it the self-help/philosophy nonfiction but it’s where I’m at right now, exploring what it means to be alive and how to live my values authentically and compassionately.
I read The Wheel of Consent, by Betty Martin, which I will unhesitatingly recommend to everyone. The wisdom and practices in this book are giving me so much insight into my relationship with myself and with everyone I come in contact with.
The other book I’m just a few pages shy of finishing but know I will have to reread more slowly, is All About Love, by bell hooks. This book is so powerful, her writing resonates so strongly with so much of my experience. It’s affirming to read such well-written and researched thoughts. Let us not be afraid of love, even if it means being vulnerable and honest with ourselves and others!
Have a Great Summer
This will likely be my last newsletter for a while, so I hope you all have a wonderful summer time. Don’t forget to hydrate and reapply sunscreen. I hope to see many of you out on the road, and again, please help spread the word about shows in your area, I need all the help I can get!